Thursday, January 30, 2014

Feeling Dry?

     Sarah, my wife, came home this weekend from shopping with a new thing of body wash and a ginormous sponge. Two things that I'm positive that I've never bought. Seriously, I'm a bar-soap kind of guy. Even when I used to travel and preach, I would take Head and Shoulders with me as my body wash/shampoo combination. After all, the way I see it, it claims to be good for both your head AND your shoulders. Boom! Perfect answer for my shampoo and soap problem.
     When I pulled it out of the bag, I asked her what it was. She told me and said that her skin was dry and needed some new soap. It was something that I'd never thought about before. As I looked down at my hands which looked as if I'd been cleaning chalk board erasers, I saw her point.
     This time of year, I start feeling spiritually dry, occupationally dry, physically dry, and emotionally dry. January as a whole is a hard month in which to get motivated. I find myself wanting to sleep in, but knowing that I actually have people depending on me to be at my job at a certain time. I want to exercise, but it's so stinkin' cold. I want to work on my novel, but I don't feel inspired. It's a dry time of the year for me.
     I'm not sure of the answer, but I've been talking with some people whom I trust and the consensus is that I need to make time for the things that inspire me. I need to schedule some time in my day to do something creative that will be fulfilling. Whatever that looks like, whether it's writing, drawing, riding my bike, spending time in God's word, working on an old radio, or whatever; I need to make time to be inspired.
     I know this is a lot of rambling on my part, but I wanted to take a few minutes to blog, something that enjoy doing but don't do it near enough. What inspires you? Make some time this week to do just that. Hopefully it'll be the moisturizing soap and sponge that your spirit needs in this dry time of year.

2 comments:

  1. I know that feeling, friend! Recently, I've been turning off the TV more, so I can spend some time in the Bible or at least doing something useful. I'm hoping to blog a bit more, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good Emily! I need to do that more too...but Sarah and I have a hard time saying no to Felicity on Hulu! lol. Have a good day.

      Delete